Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA), the biggest clinic in the United States that provides medicalized treatments for youth experiencing gender dysphoria, announced last week that it will be halting these services for children effective July 22. The move reportedly is in response to pressure from the Trump administration, which started with an executive order signed in January calling for a halt to federal funding to any institutions or hospitals offering gender-affirming care services to minors. Gender-affirming care includes puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and surgical interventions.

CHLA sent an email to staff, which was later shared with families of patients. The email said, “There is no doubt that this is a painful and significant change to our organization and a challenge to CHLA’s mission, vision, and values.” Another section of the email said, “Taken together, the Attorney General memo, HHS review, and the recent solicitation of tips from the FBI to report hospitals and providers of GAC strongly signal this administration’s intent to take swift and decisive action.”  

On May 1, a 400-page review of gender-affirming care was released by HHS, as commissioned by President Trump’s executive order in January. Weeks later, Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz sent letters to hospitals and clinics asking them to update their treatment protocols based on the determinations of the HHS report.

Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) has been providing medicalized treatments for minors for 30 years and is one of the oldest clinics of its type. It is also considered the largest facility of its kind in the country and has served over 3,000 youth patients in the gender-affirming care division of the clinic.

Dr. Johanna Olson-Kennedy, the Medical Director at CHLA’s Center for Transyouth Health and Development, is one of the most prominent figures in the industry for providing gender-affirming care services to minors in the US. The HighWire reported in January about a lawsuit that was filed against Dr. Oson-Kennedy in which the plaintiff alleges lying, misdiagnosis, and medical negligence.

In that suit, Dr. Olson-Kennedy is accused of diagnosing the plaintiff with gender dysphoria based on surface-level statements like “I mostly have boy friends” and “I like boy things.” According to the complaint, Dr. Olson-Kennedy did not perform a mental health evaluation. The complaint alleges that Dr. Olson-Kennedy fast-tracked the plaintiff “onto the conveyor belt of irreversibly damaging puberty blockers (age 12), cross-sex hormones (age 13), and “gender affirming surgery (age 14).”

Dr. Olson-Kennedy was also criticized last fall when she did not release the results of a $9.7 million taxpayer-funded study, citing concerns that the results would be misused or “weaponized.” That study has since been released as a preprint and concluded, “Depression symptoms, emotional health, and CBCL constructs did not change significantly over 24 months.” The paper also concludes, “Given that the mental health of youth with gender dysphoria who are older is often poor, it is likely that puberty blockers prevent the deterioration of mental health.”

Secretary Kennedy, in his letter to hospitals and clinics, emphasized the importance of the Hippocratic oath, the moral guideline for health professionals to “do no harm.” The lawsuit against Dr. Olson-Kennedy alleges that she did not provide informed consent for puberty blockers and falsely stated that they are reversible.

Secretary Kennedy wrote that the risks of medicalized interventions for youth with gender dysphoria may outweigh the benefits. Gender dysphoria is classified as a mental disorder in the DSM-5, so medical interventions are intended to relieve feelings of anxiety and depression.

The HHS report and Secretary Kennedy’s letter both reference the protocols in Finland, Sweden, and Norway, which prioritize psychological interventions for minors with gender dysphoria rather than medical treatments. The United Kingdom also follows a similar protocol after the release of the Cass Report, which is referenced throughout the HHS report.

Following the signing of President Trump’s executive order in January, many US clinics have ceased medical treatments for minors with gender dysphoria. Clinics like CHLA held out until after the HHS report was released and Secretary Kennedy sent the letter encouraging them to change their protocols. Clinics may lose significant federal funding if they continue to provide these treatments to minors.

Santa Clara County announced it would use $1.27 million in reserve currency to counter the loss of federal funds so medical treatments can still be provided to children.

There are at least 21 active lawsuits by detransitioners who allege harm from misdiagnoses and medical treatments provided by doctors and medical clinics. Themis Resource Fund, an independent resource for detransitioners seeking justice, is tracking the ongoing cases.

The Supreme Court is expected to issue a ruling in the next month on whether Tennessee’s gender affirming care ban will be overturned. There are currently 27 states that have enacted some ban against medical treatments for youth while 16 states have passed protective laws. The Trump administration, however, still has federal funding as a way to reduce access to these procedures in states like California that have protective laws in place to prevent the banning of medical gender dysphoria treatments for children.

Steven Middendorp

Steven Middendorp is an investigative journalist, musician, and teacher. He has been a freelance writer and journalist for over 20 years. More recently, he has focused on issues dealing with corruption and negligence in the judicial system. He is a homesteading hobby farmer who encourages people to grow their own food, eat locally, and care for the land that provides sustenance to the community.

Other Headlines

Coronavirus

CIA Whistleblower: “Dr. Fauci’s Role in the Cover Up Was Intentional”

CIA Whistleblower James E. Erdman III said “Dr. Fauci’s role in the (COVID-19) cover-up was intentional” during a Senate hearing Wednesday chaired by Senator Rand Paul. Erdman is a veteran with decades of experience in national security and intelligence, having served on the Director’s Initiatives Group (DIG) under DNI Tulsi Gabbard and worked for the CIAContinue reading CIA Whistleblower: “Dr. Fauci’s Role in the Cover Up Was Intentional”

More news about Coronavirus

Health & Nutrition

Surgeon General Warning Issued: Screen Time Physically and Mentally Harmful to Children

The Surgeon General’s Office has issued a warning about the harms of screen time for children 18 and under, while providing suggestions to families, schools, healthcare providers, researchers, policymakers, and social media companies to help curb screen use. In 2023, President Biden’s Surgeon General, Vivek Murthy, issued an advisory on social media and youth mentalContinue reading Surgeon General Warning Issued: Screen Time Physically and Mentally Harmful to Children

More news about Health & Nutrition

Vaccines

CIA Whistleblower: “Dr. Fauci’s Role in the Cover Up Was Intentional”

CIA Whistleblower James E. Erdman III said “Dr. Fauci’s role in the (COVID-19) cover-up was intentional” during a Senate hearing Wednesday chaired by Senator Rand Paul. Erdman is a veteran with decades of experience in national security and intelligence, having served on the Director’s Initiatives Group (DIG) under DNI Tulsi Gabbard and worked for the CIAContinue reading CIA Whistleblower: “Dr. Fauci’s Role in the Cover Up Was Intentional”

More news about Vaccines

Science & Tech

Anthropic Unauthorized Access Investigation Raises Questions About AI Safety Amidst Rapid Development

Anthropic is investigating a reported security breach that allowed a small group of people to gain access to Claude Mythos Preview, the company’s AI software that is too powerful to release to the public. AI models are becoming increasingly capable, and the 2026 International AI Safety Report notes that some hypothetical scenarios pose risks asContinue reading Anthropic Unauthorized Access Investigation Raises Questions About AI Safety Amidst Rapid Development

More news about Science & Tech

Environment

Supreme Court Considers Granting Bayer Protection From Pesticide ‘Failure-To-Warn’ Lawsuits

The U.S. Supreme Court heard oral arguments Monday about whether Bayer can be held liable for state-level failure to warn claims when the company followed EPA labeling guidelines after the federal agency classified glyphosate as “not likely carcinogenic to humans.” The court is not considering the underlying safety profile of glyphosate or Roundup, but theContinue reading Supreme Court Considers Granting Bayer Protection From Pesticide ‘Failure-To-Warn’ Lawsuits

More news about Environment

Policy

Texas AG Paxton Wins Historic Settlement; Kansas Temporarily Halts Gender Care Ban for Minors

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton achieved a historic settlement with Texas Children’s Hospital that will require the company to open up the country’s first detransitioner clinic and pay $10 million to the state of Texas for alleged Medicaid fraud. This decision has been followed by a Colorado court ruling to require Children’s Hospital Colorado toContinue reading Texas AG Paxton Wins Historic Settlement; Kansas Temporarily Halts Gender Care Ban for Minors

More news about Policy